Brunswick residents know that the biggest industries in our area include tourism, health care, wood products and the port. We also know that far too often, workers in those industries and others suffer on-the-job injuries that result in missed work and things such doctor visits, hospital stays, physical therapy and more.
In many cases, those injured workers are eligible for Georgia workers’ compensation benefits. If denied deserved workers’ comp, they have the right to appeal the decision with the help of an attorney.
Those who are hurt while working might feel that the incident and injury is rare. In reality, workplace injuries are anything but rare, as the National Safety Council makes plain. On its website, the nonprofit organization includes some statistics that illustrate just how common on-the-job injuries are, including the following:
- Every 7 seconds, a worker is injured somewhere in the U.S.
- That’s 510 injuries per hour or 12,600 per day or 88,500 per week or 4.6 million per year
- U.S. companies and workers lose more than 100 million production days to injury each year
The three most common causes of workplace injuries:
- 33 percent: overexertion (repetitive motion and lifting/lowering injuries)
- 26 percent: contact with objects or equipment (struck by or caught in equipment or materials)
- 25 percent: slips, trips and falls (falls to a lower level and falls on the same level of buildings)
Occupations with most workplace injuries resulting in lost time:
- Service: tourism, restaurants, mechanics, etc. (includes police and firefighters)
- Transportation and shipping
- Installation, maintenance and repair
If you have been injured while working, contact a Brunswick attorney experienced in helping workers get deserved and needed Georgia workers’ comp benefits.