Your Guiding Hand Through The Legal System

Hurt at work? Don’t make these 3 mistakes

On Behalf of | May 27, 2022 | Workers' Compensation

When you’re hurt at work, it’s essential that you talk to your employer about what happened as soon as you can. Doing so helps you protect your right to make a workers’ compensation claim and seek fair compensation for what you’ve been through.

If you make errors after you’re hurt, then you could find that it’s harder to get the compensation you need. Here are three things that you should not do if you get hurt on the job.

1. Fail to tell your employer about the accident

The first thing you shouldn’t do is fail to report your injuries to your employer. Some people go to seek medical care without informing their employers, and that can be okay if you are dealing with an emergency. However, you do need to let them know as soon as you can.

2. Skip out on medical care

Skipping out on medical care is another big mistake some people make. If you get hurt on the job, then you have a right to seek medical care. You should tell your employer that you’re injured and go to the nearest urgent care or hospital. If you’d like to see a doctor, there may be specific providers who will see you for a work-related injury, which is something to talk about with your employer.

3. Accept a denial of your claim

Finally, if you do make a claim and receive a denial, don’t think that’s the final decision. You have a right to appeal a denied application for workers’ compensation.

Sometimes claims are denied because people don’t provide enough information. Other times, errors on the application could lead to a denial. If you receive a denial, remember that you can appeal and should do so to seek the compensation and benefits that you are entitled to as an employee.

Workers’ compensation is there to protect you

Workers’ compensation is there to provide the benefits you need after an injury at work. If you’re hurt, get medical help and keep track of information about the accident, so you can make a claim for the support you need. A local attorney can help provide the help you need. Call 912-289-0640 or send an email to get started.