Your Guiding Hand Through The Legal System

When can you file a workers’ compensation claim?

On Behalf of | Dec 2, 2022 | Workers' Compensation

Regardless of the industry, you work in, you may encounter injuries or illnesses. The official code of Georgia Annotated, Title 34, Chapter 9 discusses workers’ compensation in-depth for employees who are injured in the line of duty.

Unfortunately, some employees don’t know when they are eligible for benefits from this insurance coverage. This leads to delays in filing claims and reduced chances of benefiting justly. Here is when you can file a workers’ compensation claim:

You suffered injuries

If you get injured or contract an illness while performing work duties, you are very likely eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. 

Some cases may be obvious like being hit by a moving object. However, others are subtle but cause long-term effects. For example, exposure to hazardous substances without proper wear or safety measures in place.

You don’t need to prove fault when filing a workers’ compensation claim. All you need to do is show that your injury or illness came about within the scope and period of employment. Your employer should then inform the insurance company to start the procedure. If they fail to do so or the insurer suggests unfair compensation, it will help to seek legal guidance.

Your employer has workers’ compensation insurance

Any business operating in Georgia with three or more employees must have workers’ compensation insurance. If you are the only worker, your employer may not have one. Always confirm this before accepting a position with any employer to weigh your options.

You are within Georgia’s deadlines

In Georgia, you can file a workers’ compensation claim within one year of the first day of your injury, illness, or disability. It will be best to file sooner.

Work-related injuries have significant effects. Steven L. Morgan is an experienced attorney who is passionate about protecting workers’ interests. Contact us today online or call 912-289-0640 for further guidance.